Monday, March 31, 2014

Does It Work????

 I have been doing some deep cleaning lately.  On Pinterest I found so homemade cleaners.  

This one cleans your tub/shower.  I have a textured bottom and no matter what I have tried (bleach, plain baking soda, scouring powder...) it just didn't come clean.  Then I found this site that claimed to have the cure to clean your stubborn shower scum.   

So I thought I would give it a try. 
The recipe calls for:
1/2 c. white vinegar
1/2 c. Original Blue Dawn Dish Soap
4 T. Baking Soda

Heat the vinegar in the microwave for about 90 seconds.  Let it cool a few minutes.  I began to add the baking soda a little at a time.  There was too much foam so I added the soap and gave it a stir.  Then I added the rest of the baking soda.

This made a bowl of foamy goodness.

Now I clean my shower every week and still have this gross looking bottom.  Don't judge.

 So I spread the mixture all over the bottom.  I had to make another batch to cover the entire area.

Now you let it sit for two hours.  When I came back and started to scrub it didn't seem to get all the crevasses so I smeared it around again and left it for another hour.

 I took a scrub brush and gave it a good scrubbing.  Some areas needed a bit more elbow grease than others, but it came clean.   

This made me very happy.  If you have a textured bath/shower.  Give it try!  
This next concoction is a grease cutter.  When I fist saw it I thought a grease cutter that uses oil?????  But it is AWESOME.  You can read the blog post HERE.

The recipe is:
1 part vegetable oil
2 part baking soda

Mix it in a small bowl and grab an old toothbrush.  The site claimed to get that greasy gunk off you cabinets.  Since I have light colored cabinets, pictures really didn't show a change.  But you could feel how clean the wood and knobs were after I scrubbed a bit.  So I was thinking maybe it would work on my stove.  

I have a stainless steel stove and it took all the little grease marks right off.  It is a miracle cleaner! It also took off the black grease around the burners.  It is a little messy but worth the extra clean up.

So there you have two easy cleansers that you whip up at home.  Happy spring cleaning!

Thanks for stopping by and have a blessed day!

No comments: